TEXAS ETHICS COMMISSION
P.O. Box 12070, Austin, Texas 78711-2070
Francisco Hernandez, Chair
Ralph Wayne, Vice Chair
Raymond R. "Tripp" Davenport, III
Scott W. Fisher
Cullen R. Looney
Wales H. Madden, III
Date and Time:
9:00 a.m. on Friday, January 14, 2005
Texas Workforce Commission, 101 E. 15th St., Conf. Room #244, Austin, Texas
For more information, contact David A. Reisman, Executive Director, at (512) 463-5800.
1. Call to order; roll call.
2. Comments by the commissioners.
3. Comments by the executive director.
4. Communication to the commission from the public.
5. Approve minutes of the November 12, 2004, meeting.
6. Election of chair and vice-chair of the Texas Ethics Commission.
7. Briefing, discussion, and possible action to waive or reduce certain penalties assessed for late filing of campaign finance reports, lobby reports, or personal financial statements.
8. Briefing, discussion, and possible action to waive or reduce late-filing penalties in connection with certain corrected reports or to determine whether certain corrected reports as originally filed substantially complied with the applicable law.
Discussion and possible action in response to the following Advisory Opinion Requests:
The drafts of the following proposed opinions are prepared by Ethics Commission staff and are available for review at the commission’s office. Please note that a staff-proposed draft of an opinion may be revised without notice and at any time before the opinion is adopted by the commission.
9. AOR-520: The Texas Ethics Commission has been asked to consider whether a school board member’s expenditures for tickets to school events are “reimbursable with public funds” if the board member purchases tickets rather than using the free pass provided to school board members.
This opinion construes section 251.001(9) of the Election Code.
10. AOR- 521: The Texas Ethics Commission has been asked to consider the application of the provision in the lobby law that prohibits agreements for compensation contingent on the outcome of a matter before a state agency.
This opinion construes section 305.022 of the Government Code.
11. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of an amendment to the rule relating to the legislative per diem required to be set under Article III, Section 24a, of the Texas Constitution.
12. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to lobby activities reports.
13. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to the disclosure of expenditures by general-purpose political committees made from contributions from corporations and labor organizations.
14. Public discussion and possible action on the proposal and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to candidates for county chair in certain counties.
15. Public discussion and possible action on the proposal and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to information about referrals required to be reported on the personal financial statement by a state officer who is an attorney.
16. Public discussion and possible action on a rule relating to the use of political contributions for travel.
17. Public discussion and possible action on a rule relating to prohibiting the use of political contributions to pay fines.
CERTIFICATION: I certify that I have reviewed this document and that it conforms to all applicable Texas Register filing requirements.
NOTICE: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, an individual with a disability must have an equal opportunity for effective communication and participation in public meetings. Upon request, the Texas Ethics Commission will provide auxiliary aids and services, such as interpreters for the deaf and hearing impaired, readers, and large print or Braille documents. In determining the type of auxiliary aid or service, the commission will give primary consideration to the individual's request. Those requesting auxiliary aids or services should notify Margie Castellanos at (512) 463-5800, (800) 325-8506, or RELAY Texas (800) 735-2989 two days before this meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. Please also contact Ms. Castellanos if you need assistance in having English translated into Spanish.