TEXAS ETHICS COMMISSION
P.O. Box 12070, Austin, Texas 78711-2070
Cullen R. Looney, Chair
Raymond R. "Tripp" Davenport, III, Vice Chair
Wales H. Madden, III
Nicholas C. Taylor
Date and Time:
9:00 a.m. on Friday, July 14, 2006
Room E1.010, Capitol Extension, Austin, Texas
For more information, contact David A. Reisman, Executive Director, at (512) 463-5800.
1. Call to order; roll call.
2. Comments by the commissioners.
3. Comments by the executive director.
4. Communication to the commission from the public.
5. Approve minutes of the May 12, 2006, meeting.
6. Presentation by Chair of Task Force, Commissioner Ross Fischer.
7. Presentation, discussion, and possible action regarding the Legislative Appropriation Request (LAR) for the 2008-2009 Biennium of the Texas Ethics Commission; William Calem, Director of Administration, Chief Fiscal Officer.
8. Briefing, discussion, and possible action to waive or reduce certain penalties assessed for late filing of campaign finance reports, lobby reports, or personal financial statements.
9. Briefing, discussion, and possible action to waive or reduce late-filing penalties in connection with certain corrected reports or to determine whether certain corrected reports as originally filed substantially complied with the applicable law.
10. Discussion and possible action regarding the termination of campaign treasurer appointments of inactive candidates.
Discussion and possible action in response to the following Advisory Opinion Request:
The draft of the following proposed opinion is prepared by Ethics Commission staff and is available for review at the commission’s office. Please note that a staff-proposed draft of an opinion may be revised without notice and at any time before the opinion is adopted by the commission.
11. AOR-534: The Texas Ethics Commission has been asked to consider the effective date of an order issued under the Judicial Campaign Fairness Act (JCFA), section 253.165 of the Election Code.
This opinion construes section 253.165 of the Election Code.
12. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of amendments to Ethics Commission Rule § 20.1 (Definitions), regarding amendments to the definition of political advertising and the definition of campaign communication, and the repeal of definitions that are duplicative of the statutory definitions.
13. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of amendments to Ethics Commission Rule § 18.9 (Corrected Reports), which relates to corrected reports.
14. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of Ethics Commission Rule § 12.27 (Deadline Extension), regarding the authority of the executive director to extend certain deadlines relating to a sworn complaint.
15. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of Ethics Commission Rule § 12.117 (Formal Hearing: Venue), regarding the proper venue for a formal hearing held under the sworn complaint process in chapter 571 of the Government Code.
16. Public discussion and possible action on the proposal and publication in the Texas Register of Ethics Commission Rule § 20.57 (Time of Making Expenditure), regarding the reporting of a political expenditure by credit card.
17. Public discussion and possible action on the proposal and publication in the Texas Register of Ethics Commission Rule § 24.14 (Administrative Expenditure), regarding the permissibility of an expenditure by a corporation to deliver a political contribution.
CERTIFICATION: I certify that I have reviewed this document and that it conforms to all applicable Texas Register filing requirements.
Certifying Official: David A. Reisman, Executive Director
Agency Liaison: Natalia Luna Ashley, General Counsel
NOTICE: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, an individual with a disability must have an equal opportunity for effective communication and participation in public meetings. Upon request, the Texas Ethics Commission will provide auxiliary aids and services, such as interpreters for the deaf and hearing impaired, readers, and large print or Braille documents. In determining the type of auxiliary aid or service, the commission will give primary consideration to the individual's request. Those requesting auxiliary aids or services should notify Margie Castellanos at (512) 463-5800, (800) 325-8506, or RELAY Texas (800) 735-2989 two days before this meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. Please also contact Ms. Castellanos if you need assistance in having English translated into Spanish.