TEXAS ETHICS COMMISSION
P.O. Box 12070, Austin, Texas 78711-2070
Ralph Wayne, Chair
Cullen R. Looney, Vice Chair
Raymond R. "Tripp" Davenport, III
Scott W. Fisher
Wales H. Madden, III
Date and Time:
9:00 a.m. on Friday, May 6, 2005
Texas Workforce Commission, 101 E. 15th St., Conf. Room #244, Austin, Texas
For more information, contact David A. Reisman, Executive Director, at (512) 463-5800.
1. Call to order; roll call.
2. Executive session pursuant to Section 551.071, Government Code; Closed Meeting. Discussion regarding pending litigation that arose due to reasonably unforeseen circumstances. Specifically, the discussion regarding a subpoena requesting that the Executive Director release confidential information at a hearing scheduled for May 10, 2005.
3. Reconvene in open session. Possible action regarding a subpoena requesting that the Executive Director release confidential information at a hearing scheduled for May 10, 2005.
4. Comments by the commissioners.
5. Comments by the executive director.
6. Communication to the commission from the public.
7. Approve minutes of the March 11, 2005, meeting.
8. Update on the status of the collection of late-filing penalties.
9. Update on the status of the new computer software for the filing of campaign finance reports with the Texas Ethics Commission electronically.
10. Briefing, discussion, and possible action to waive or reduce certain penalties assessed for late filing of campaign finance reports, lobby reports, or personal financial statements.
11. Briefing, discussion, and possible action to waive or reduce late-filing penalties in connection with certain corrected reports or to determine whether certain corrected reports as originally filed substantially complied with the applicable law.
Discussion and possible action in response to the following Advisory Opinion Request:
The draft of the following proposed opinion is prepared by Ethics Commission staff and is available for review at the commission’s office.Please note that a staff-proposed draft of an opinion may be revised without notice and at any time before the opinion is adopted by the commission.
12. AOR-523: The Texas Ethics Commission has been asked to consider whether a former elected officeholder may use unexpended political contributions to make expenditures in connection with his current non-elected position at a state agency.
This opinion construes section 253.035 of the Election Code.
13. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to information about referrals required to be reported on the personal financial statement by a state officer who is an attorney under section 572.0252 of the Government Code.
14. Public discussion and possible action on the proposal and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to the description of a political expenditure for travel on reports filed under title 15 of the Election Code.
15. Public discussion and possible action on the proposal and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to the description of an in-kind political contribution for travel on reports filed under title 15 of the Election Code.
16. Executive session pursuant to Section 551.074, Government Code, Personnel Matters; Closed Meeting. Discussion of personnel matters, specifically, the position of general counsel.
17. Reconvene in open session. Possible action regarding personnel matters, specifically, the position of general counsel.
CERTIFICATION: I certify that I have reviewed this document and that it conforms to all applicable Texas Register filing requirements.
Certifying Official: David A. Reisman, Executive Director
Agency Liaison: Natalia Luna Ashley, General Counsel
NOTICE: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, an individual with a disability must have an equal opportunity for effective communication and participation in public meetings. Upon request, the Texas Ethics Commission will provide auxiliary aids and services, such as interpreters for the deaf and hearing impaired, readers, and large print or Braille documents. In determining the type of auxiliary aid or service, the commission will give primary consideration to the individual's request. Those requesting auxiliary aids or services should notify Margie Castellanos at (512) 463-5800, (800) 325-8506, or RELAY Texas (800) 735-2989 two days before this meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. Please also contact Ms. Castellanos if you need assistance in having English translated into Spanish.