TEXAS ETHICS COMMISSION
P.O. Box 12070, Austin, Texas 78711-2070
Ralph Wayne, Chair
Cullen R. Looney, Vice Chair
Raymond R. "Tripp" Davenport, III
Scott W. Fisher
Wales H. Madden, III
Date and Time:
9:00 a.m. on Friday, July 15, 2005
Texas Workforce Commission, 101 E. 15th St., Conf. Room #244, Austin, Texas
For more information, contact David A. Reisman, Executive Director, at (512) 463-5800.
1. Call to order; roll call.
2. Comments by the commissioners.
3. Comments by the executive director.
4. Communication to the commission from the public.
5. Approve minutes of the May 6, 2005, meeting.
6. Presentation of Distinguished Service Award to Natalia Luna Ashley, General Counsel by the Executive Director.
7. Briefing on new legislation affecting the Texas Ethics Commission.
8. Briefing, discussion, and possible action to waive or reduce certain penalties assessed for late filing of campaign finance reports, lobby reports, or personal financial statements.
9. Briefing, discussion, and possible action to waive or reduce late-filing penalties in connection with certain corrected reports or to determine whether certain corrected reports as originally filed substantially complied with the applicable law.
Discussion and possible action in response to the following Advisory Opinion Requests:
The draft of the following proposed opinions are prepared by Ethics Commission staff and are available for review at the commission’s office.Please note that a staff-proposed draft of an opinion may be revised without notice and at any time before the opinion is adopted by the commission.
10. AOR- 521: The Texas Ethics Commission has been asked to consider the application of the provision in the lobby law that prohibits agreements for compensation contingent on the outcome of a matter before a state agency.
This opinion construes section 305.022 of the Government Code.
11. AOR-525: The Texas Ethics Commission has been asked to consider whether a legislative advertising disclosure, pursuant to Government Code section 305.027, is required for (1) segments of radio broadcasts; and (2) articles that are available on a website and that are included in an e-mail newsletter.
This opinion construes section 305.027 of the Government Code.
12. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to the description of a political expenditure for travel on reports filed under title 15 of the Election Code.
13. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of a rule relating to the description of an in-kind political contribution for travel on reports filed under title 15 of the Election Code.
14. Public discussion and possible action on the adoption and publication in the Texas Register of two rules relating to the termination of a campaign treasurer appointment by the Ethics Commission in accordance with section 252.0131 of the Election Code.
15. Public discussion and possible action regarding a petition for rulemaking regarding reports filed pursuant to section 257.003 of the Election Code, by a political party that accepts political contributions from corporations.
CERTIFICATION: I certify that I have reviewed this document and that it conforms to all applicable Texas Register filing requirements.
Certifying Official: David A. Reisman, Executive Director
Agency Liaison: Natalia Luna Ashley, General Counsel
NOTICE: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, an individual with a disability must have an equal opportunity for effective communication and participation in public meetings. Upon request, the Texas Ethics Commission will provide auxiliary aids and services, such as interpreters for the deaf and hearing impaired, readers, and large print or Braille documents. In determining the type of auxiliary aid or service, the commission will give primary consideration to the individual's request. Those requesting auxiliary aids or services should notify Margie Castellanos at (512) 463-5800, (800) 325-8506, or RELAY Texas (800) 735-2989 two days before this meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. Please also contact Ms. Castellanos if you need assistance in having English translated into Spanish.