Filing Deadlines for Speaker of the House
Officeholder and Candidates
Speaker candidates are required to file a "Candidate for Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives Statement of Contributions, Loans, and Expenditures" (Form SPK) on:
- the first filing date after the announcement of initiation of the candidacy;
- each filing date during the candidacy; and
- each filing date until all campaign loans have been repaid.
- the first day of January;
- the day before regular session convenes;
- the first day of March;
- the first day of May;
- the first day of July;
- the first day of September;
- the first day of November; and
- the day before special session convenes.
If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the report is due on the next regular business day.
Period Covered by Reports:
First report: The first day covered is the date of announcement or initiation of the candidacy. The last day covered is the last day of the preceeding month before the date the report is due.
All other reports: The first day covered is the day after the date the last report ended. The last day covered is the last day of the preceeding month before the date the report is due. In other words, the period covered is the full preceding two months before the date the report is due.
Report of unexpended contributions:
Not later than January 15 of each year, a former speaker candidate who retains unexpended campaign funds must file a report covering either (1) the preceding calendar year or (2) the period beginning on the date after the last day of the period covered by the most recent statement filed by the former speaker candidate and ending on December 31 of the preceding calendar year.