Are You a Local Filer?
Local filers who run for and/or hold an office have a requirement to file campaign finance reports with their Local Filing Authority.
Offices for local filers may include:
- county or precinct offices (county commissioner, tax assessor/collector, constable, justice of the peace, sheriff, etc.)
- city offices (mayor, council member, secretary, etc.)
- political subdivision offices (school board, community college trustee, municipal utility district, water district, etc.)
- Specific-Purpose PACs that support or oppose any of these candidate/officeholders or that support or oppose a measure in a local election, other than a school bond.
Most individuals or entities filing a campaign finance report with a Local Filing Authority will be submitting a paper report. The paper report can be generated one of two ways.
1. The forms from our website can be
printed and filled in by hand. Go to Forms/Instructions in the
top bar and select your filer type to find
2. The TEC Filing Application can be used to create a report.
To use the TEC Filing Application:
2. Select the “Local Authority” option:
3. Create your filer ID using your email address. This filer ID
is case sensitive.
4. Setup up your password and security questions and answers. Record these with your filer ID so that you have them should you need them in the future.
5. After logging in, select “Manage My Reports”, and start a new report. Specify the type of report you are filing. Set the appropriate dates for the reporting period. Navigate the data entry pages to enter your reportable activities. Use the application’s Preview Report PDF to generate the PDF copy of your report. Save this PDF file to your local computer system.
6. Print the PDF report file, then manually fill in the campaign treasurer information. Sign and notarize the report.
7. You cannot File your report from TEC’s filing application. Check with your local filing authority to determine if they want a paper copy of the signed and notarized PDF report or an electronically submitted copy of the signed and notarized PDF report.
For additional information about your obligations as a local filer you are advised to become familiar with CAMPAIGN FINANCE GUIDE FOR CANDIDATES AND OFFICEHOLDERS WHO FILE WITH LOCAL FILING AUTHORITIES