Starting To Lobby
Checklist for Starting Your Lobbying
- Determine whether you are lobbying. Lobbying is making direct communications with members of the legislative or executive branch of Texas state government to influence legislation or administrative action.
- Determine whether you are required to register as a lobbyist. You are required to register if you:
- Receive or are entitled to receive more than
the compensation/reimbursement threshold in a calendar quarter as compensation or
reimbursement to lobby;
Year Quarterly Compensation Reimbursement Threshold 2022 and beyond $1,640 2021 $1,620 2020 $1,560 2019 and prior years $1,000
- Expend more than the expenditure threshold in a calendar quarter to
benefit a state officer or employee (or his or her
immediate family) when the expenditures are made to
communicate to influence legislation or
Year Quarterly Expenditure Threshold 2022 and beyond $820 2021 $810 2020 $780 2019 and prior years $500
- File a Lobby ID Request/Name Change Form with TEC in order to obtain a File ID number necessary for filing a registration.
- File a lobby registration electronically, unless you qualify to file on paper, with the TEC no later than five days after the date you make the communication that requires you to register.
- File lobby activities reports monthly to report your
expenditures. (You may file annually if you intend to make
less than the annual lobby expenditure threshold in lobby expenditures during the calendar
Year Annual Expenditure Threshold 2022 and beyond $1,890 2021 $1,860 2020 $1,790 2019 and prior years $1,000
- Renew your lobby registration each year that you are lobbying.
- Continue filing lobby activities reports as long as your lobby registration is on file with the TEC.
Please note that there is an exception for incidental lobbying. (See Lobbying in Texas: A Guide to the Texas Law.)
Ending Your Lobbying
Checklist for Ending Your Lobbying
- Determine whether you have stopped lobbying before your lobby registration automatically expires on December 31.
- File a lobby termination notice with the TEC along with your final lobby activities report if you have stopped lobbying before your lobby registration for that year expires.